Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lady In Red......

Last week I told you that I received this fabric for a gift and I wanted to make a dress for Eid which is the holiday that immediately follows Ramadan.  My goal is to use the fabric on the left.  It's a little too flowery for me, but it will be fine for here.  We will go visiting lots of friends of the hospital and I want to make a dress.  Some will wear pretty crazy dresses (like the prom for us) and others will wear more of traditional type dress.  Anyway, I need a style that is conservative enough for visiting families here but also fun and I don't want it to look like crap on me.  Silky fabric can be tricky for women with hips!  I knwo most people don't set out with the goal of getting a dress that looks bogus when they put it on, but I'm just sayin'.

Anyway, can you help me come up with a style that might work well for me? It needs to be long. It can be sleeveless and then I can wear a sweater or something with it. Otherwise it can have sleeves to be a bit more conservative. I'm not trying to look like a woman in a jean jumper, though --you know what I mean, right?!

I was looking through some dresses at this website.  What do you think?  Could any of them be made long?

I looked at Banana Republic, too for dresses and found a few I like. Some of the short dresses I could make long and some of the long dresses aren't so bad.

Help me! I need your clothing design help.  It's so fun having a tailor who can make a dress just from the picture.  You can't imagine how inexpensive it is here either.  I can't wait to show you the two dresses I dropped off last week to get made.   I found them in Lebanon when I was there but they were way too expensive. I am getting them made for less than 1/4th of the price. It's fun going to the fabric store and then finding designs you like.

Give me your comments or suggestions of places to look.


2 comments:

Min said...

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT-Weddings-%26-Events/ANN-Wedding-Dresses/Briana-Silk-Gown/247306?colorExplode=true&skuId=87531169&catid=cata000034&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=9129
I sort of think this one could work from the Ann Taylor wedding line. The criss cross in the front gives it some shape but, it won't cling too close to your body.

Jessica O'Keefe said...

Since the print is so bold, I think I'd go with something very simple - like a Jackie O type sleeveless sheath or something with a very subtle flare - kind of like our bridesmaids dresses for your wedding.