Monday, September 20, 2010

Cover Up.....

In B-town, it was easy to make friends.  Our friends there were so welcoming, friendly and we felt instantly like family with many of them.  Here, not so much.  I specifically mean the nationals...not the expats.  Our friends who are Indian, Filipino or other Americans have been very warm and welcoming.  I'm not saying the others AREN't welcoming, they are just a bit more closed and harder to get to know.

We've been working on a few friends.  Gradually we meet a new member of the family each time.  We had lunch with 2 one time, then 3, then 4 and this past time there were 5 of them!  This feels like success.   And for this place that is a miracle.  So we're thankful.

They aren't big on showing their face in pictures...so we told them to COVER UP....and since Min and I are SOOO culturally sensitve, we covered up, too:)

They left me with a few house warming gifts which was so sweet.  I'm being a little silly in this photo....or maybe I was really THAT excited.  The tea cups are rather cute and I used them tonight for guests.

We had some other friends over tonight.  We're starting a tradition of dinners weekly with friends........I'm going to try to get them all to play BUNCO together in a few weeks.  If you haven't played with a group of friends, do it...it will become a monthly activity with friends.  There are women who play this game with friends for YEARS and YEARS.......maybe this is the start of something big in the UAE.  C'mon dice rolling can cross all sorts of cultural and language barriers. 

I have been working on this Women's Event that we held for local ladies for a while now. It was a good amount of work but rewarding and all went well.  I'll post pictures soon.    I feel like I haven't had a chance to breath in the past week.  I think once next Sunday comes, maybe life will get less busy or at least that is my hope.

1 comment:

kristin said...

i'm glad you have your sister in law there now....so great! did she go to gordon? or was that trey's other sister? i am so glad for you...