Thursday, September 15, 2011

Shake, Rattle and Roll......

Every morning since March, I make a fruit (with lettuce) shake for breakfast.  I love my fruit shakes. They are easy, tasty and a good healthy breakfast. 

This means that my blender gets lots of use.  I bought a fancy, shmacy mixer when we moved here which has been well worth the money due to the amount of use that sucker gets from me, Trey and Melissa.  One of us are always making something and especially on the weekend it probably gets tired.

This mixer has the blender attachment which worked like a dream....until one day it got tired. The motor works great but it won't turn the plastic thingy-ma-bob on the bottom of the glass container anymore.  I tried to figure it out, but gave up because I realized that I had a blender attachment on my food processor.

Ever since oh probably June, I've been using the blender that goes onto my food processor (thank you Jenna--that thing also gets a ton of use!) .   Then just this week, it decided to get tired, too. Not the food processor --that still works. Just the blender. The motor works great and even the plastic thingy-ma-bob that turns the blade, turns when I do it with my hand....but not when I put it on the base.  What the heck. 

I hate extra gadgets. I don't want to buy another blender.  So I started using the food processor now.  But the liquid shoots out the side sometimes which makes an agrivated girl when trying to get ready for work in the morning and you end up with mango-strawberry-romaine-lettuce water on yourself.

Anybody have this same problem?  The motor on the actual gadget works.  The blade turns when I do it by hand.  It just won't work together when I put the glass blender canister on the base.  Do I need to get the plasticy thing on the bottom replaced somehow?

So the shakes.  What do we put in our shakes? 
  • Romaine, spinach or another kind of lettuce I can find here
  • Frozen fruit such as mango and strawberries. Those are my favorite.  I add blueberries sometimes too because they are so good for you but they can make the shake a bit "grainy" in my mind.
  • Banana--this smooths the shake out
  • Water.  We tried coconut water but it didn't make any difference so I just do plain ol' water
  • (You could do yogurt, but I don't because I am trying to ditch dairy due to sinus stuff here and Trey doesn't really like yogurt.)


1 comment:

Jenna said...

Why don't you try to get Shiny to fix it? Seriously...if she can fix all the hospital equipment, I'm sure this would be no problem for her! :) Did you guys buy/take our processor? I don't even remember that. I long to have a fancy mixer/blender thing, but they're SO expensive. Sigh.