Thursday, September 1, 2011

On the road again....

I think I have seen almost every part of the city of Al Ain these past few days when we have been visiting for Eid.  Each year on both Eid's (Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al Adha) we will visit long time friends and patients of the hospital.  We had about 14 women go visiting from our staff.  We are like the UN when we go visiting (Hungary, India, New Zealand, Philippines, America, Argentina, Iraq, Jordan and others that I"m probably missing). 

We also visit the Shiekha's.  Sh. Zayed founded this country so essentially we visit some of his wives, daughter-in-laws and kids.  It's pretty fun going into those huge palaces-- but man, they should just give me a week and I would help them decorate a bit.  Decorating is not everyone's forte here. 

One thing Min and I were laughing about last night is imaging if our family all lived in a compound together.  Here, once you get married, you live with your husbands family.  On the compound could be your in-law's, their parents, your husbands sisters who didn't marry yet --or who might never marry, an aunt who maybe lost her husband and decides to live with you, servants, maybe a chicken and I'm sure there would be a few others in there.

So that would put me in a compound with my husband, Trey's parents, his granny and her husband, his Aunt Louyse, brother Jared, possibly Virginia's dad and the dog Luke.  I'm not sure how that would go down......family, what do you think?! 

Min and I were also sure that there would be a garage full of everyone's junk.  We're all good at collecting things. 

Think about your family doing this?!  Does it make you laugh....or cry?!


No comments: