Saturday, December 4, 2010

Free fallin', now I'm free fallin'....Part 3

The answer of why this series of post is called Free fallin' will come today.

We were having a great evening.  Our friend Mariam decided to surprise us with 4 wheelers...you know the ATV kind that you ride in the woods at home.  We were loving our time, the weather was perfect and the company even better!

We all hopped on...2 on a bike.  We decided to hit some small sand dunes and the woman who owns the farm led our group since she's the expert and knows where to go.

Did I mention that we were having SO much fun.....

After a bit, Trey and Min's bike got stuck in the sand.  Christine and I were on another bike and I noticed that it was taking them a bit longer to get out than I expected.  We decided to head back to get them.  I was driving.  We entered up to the top of a sand dune but the only real way to Min and Trey was to go down the sand dune and head a different way.  Mmm.....not such a good decision.

As we headed down the sand dune, I over turned the wheel trying to compensate for the fact that we might fall to the left. When I overturned the wheel, instead we took a DIGGER to the right.  Not a huge digger, but one none-the-less. Christine flew off the bike right into the sand.  Me, I fell off but not out from under the bike completely.

After the first second of shock wore off, I realized that I was stuck under the bike. I couldn't get out.  I told Christine to get help because I was stuck. All of the sudden, Super-Christine pushed the bike over off of me.  Adrenaline is a good gift from God.  For 2 reasons.  You'll find out reason #2 in a second.

I tried to walk away but couldn't. My leg was sort of hurting. I figured it was sore from the 4 wheeler falling on me. Those things are heavy I thought if I just sit here for a second, it will go away and we can get back on and go back at it. Ha ha!  That wasn't happening.

I have another photo close up but thought some of you might not like it
I went to pull my pant leg down and felt wet.  I thought "Hmmm...we're in the desert, there is not water out here." I looked down and saw a rather large hole in my leg. I could see inside. There was fatty tissue sticking out and I wasn't sure what else.   Reason #2 adrenalin is great. I didn't even feel anything when it punctured my leg.

Christine goes to get help. It was dark and our bike light had shut off so nobody would have seen us but C got to the top of a sand dune and our friends saw us.   Since I clearly needed stitches (or I thought maybe my leg needed to be amputated --not really but I always think the worst in an emergency) C threw her sweatshirt around my leg and told me to make it tight. They put me in the 4 wheel drive car but we got stuck in the desert.  Then we got out and I got on a 4 wheel bike.....put my arms tightly around an Emirate man (that won't happen too much in my lifetime...they barely shake my hand let alone let me hold tight around their belly!) and off we were to the car.

Trey got me to Oasis Hospital where we work. Thank goodness we work at a hospital.  It was great to be treated by staff that knows us.  They stitched up most of it but left a piece open for drainage in case there was any sand left in there. They cleaned it really well but there's a good chance some sand was left considering we were in a sea of sand just an hour before.

Finally one week later, I'm walking on it a bit.
I had to be off of it for 5 days. When I start walking again, we'll see how the muscle held up. It wasn't broken, thank goodness. Right now my leg is really tight and it doesn't work so well yet when I try to walk on it.

I have a close up picture of the hole, but am afraid that some of you will pass out. We'll stick with the smaller picture of the hole.

Man, we were having such a great time. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt:)
They made a nice b-b-q after we left but of course we missed it.  I sort of want to do it again, but not sure the hospital we work out will let any of the staff do it again!  One of our doctors broke his back doing it last winter.....so far we have 2 strikes against us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my word! I'm so glad you are okay. How many stiches did you need? that looked like a gaping hole. Hope you're recover is quick. will you need any physical therapy or is is just a flesh wound? praying for you!