Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm movin' on....

It was only 3 short months ago that we left B-town. I forget that it was so recent.  It feels like we have lived a good 6 months since leaving there.  We came here almost 2 months ago and things are starting to feel familiar yet still so new. 

Most days are good but as expected there are some hard days.   For some reason I expected it to be easy to transition from something so hard to a place that feels relatively easy to live, but there are still changes. And this isn't home.  And it's not my culture. And our jobs are new.  And we're not in our house yet.  And people are still getting to know who we really are (you know those awkward beginnings).  And we're still getting to know our co-workers and how people work and how they relate to other people. And really we're still getting to know our jobs. Both of our jobs are new here.....there are people/or have been people in the past with the same titles, but our jobs will be somewhat different.  Mine not as much as Trey's. 

You get the point, all those news things.  And I tend to be hard on myself.  Like I should have it all together in 2 months. And we should have lots of contacts and we should have all our friends and we should do this, that and the other.   I enjoy knowing what is before me...but that doesn't always happen.  I learn so much through these circumstances.  Trey reminded me that it is like your first year in college.  What happens your first year is soooo different from your senior year, right?  What we do now, who we know, what we think of this place, etc will all change as time goes on. 

We're excited to be here and really feel like we're in the right place.  We have glimpses of great encouragement through conversation with people we don't even really know and others we know a little bit better.....but I just need to remind myself to be encouraging to my spouse instead of putting all these expectations I have on him, too.  I have to remind myself that we came from a hard experience where life felt so "abnormal" at times and we're probably still debriefing from that without even knowing it. 

Everything takes time.....

3 comments:

kristin said...

It totally does take time. I ALWAYS forget this, even after living in about 15 different houses my whole life! It usually takes at least a year or so...but it'll get easier. Don't worry!

Amy Hoffman said...

Oh, Jessie!
Trey is totally right about his analogy to your first year at college. I remember your 1st semester at Gordon and how different it was for you. Keep your chin up. One day soon you'll look back at this post and smile.

Kim said...

Seriously...it took me like 8 months to settle into my life in Bhem, and then it was all over so soon! So glad you two didn't write me off too early :) Good luck with the continued adjustments.