Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So working in a multicultural setting can be all sorts of things....funny, frustrating, a learning experience, etc.   I think I get more laughs than anything.......

Last week, at my first daycare meeting with parents, I was sitting with a Filipino co-worker.  We got onto the subject of how cute the kids in the daycare are.   I said something like  "They are such little peanuts and I want to eat them."

She looked at me with a face that said "I've never heard anyone say that before." So I go on to explain how you can say that about little kids and it just essentially means that the kids are really cute.

She says "Can I say that to Mr. XXX" (I will protect his name).  Mr. XXX is our co-worker and about 42 years old.  He happens to be  a shorter Filipino man.

Me:  "No, don't ever say that to him." and then I just started dying laughing with another woman who is from Canada and was sitting there listening to our conversation.

Could you imagine.....my young Filipino co-worker says to our older Filipino co-worker "You're a peanut and I want to eat you."  Nope, doesn't work!

Is it even funny to you?  It still makes me laugh really hard but maybe it's one of those situations where you had to be there.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I love it! If this co-worker short and cute I think it could apply. You should have told her to try it! So funny!

Jessica O'Keefe said...

That's great! I would have died laughing!

Min said...

Yeah- funny to us too Jessie!