Monday, March 15, 2010

It's better for you....

So we're in a breakfast rut.  Neither of us get ready early enough in the morning to sit down and eat breakfast so I was trying to come up with some things that are healthy, taste good and are good for an on-the-run breakfast.

I searched through a few recipes for to make my own breakfast bar. I sort of ended up making breakfast balls but they taste pretty good and I think are a good solution...at least for this week.

So make any variation of this that you want....add more of what you want and less of others.

About 3 cups of oats
1/2 cup of honey or agave
1/2 cup of peanut butter (I found some that put in 1 cup for more protein but I don't like that taste to be too strong.)
2 tbsp flax seed
A bunch of dried apple pieces (next time I think I'll do apricots, too)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

You can add as much dried fruit as you want (and any kind) or add wheat germ, sunflower seeds, walnuts...whatever you like.  If it doesn't stick together enough, you may want to add more honey or peanut butter. 

After I mixed it together, I rolled them into little balls and now have them in the refrigerator so that they would firm up a bit and because I think flax seed needs to be refrigerated once opened......just what I heard.

So enjoy if you make them.

No comments: