Sunday, March 7, 2010

Everybody's workin' for the weekend.....

Don't you love the weekend?  I do!  I love waking up and not thinking about a schedule and getting to explore and do some fun things. On Thursday night we went to a concert here at Al Jahili Fort 
with Lebanese Singer Majida al Roumi.  She's a pretty big deal and she was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S.  We had a great time. It was outside. The setting was beautiful. The weather was perfect.  The company was great.  And she sang it!  She was really a beautiful performer who engaged the audience in a very tasteful way.  What an evening.  There was a full orchestra which who also brilliant (for those Brits out there). And I wish you could have see her dress in these pictures.....I NEED it for some sort of occasion....I'm sure of it.....I just don't know what that occasion is yet! 

This was part of the Al Ain Classics Festival.  I think I'm going to try to go again next week to another concert.

Al Jahili Fort was home of the late ruler of Dubai Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. The fort was built in (Zayed the First, 1855-1909)The fort is distinguished by its impressive main tower, which has four floors.  This fort tells about the history of Al Ain city and of the Emirate in general.

Then on Saturday we went to our Arabic teachers house for lunch. I would love to show you a picture of her and her baby....but I won't do that as she might not appreciate that.  If I ask her and she says yes, than I'll post it later.  But for now, you can see their backyard where they keep all of their animals.  This is where they get their meat from......except on Saturday we ate fish.....and I'm pretty sure that didn't come from the backyard.  Her mom put the fish on the coals outside and it tasted delic-ee-o-so.  They drove us around their city a little. Oman seems to be pretty different from the UAE in the few hours I was there.  We'll see as we explore more.

Today while we were doing our weekly grocery shopping we found a few things.  The coffee picture if for Trey's mom as she is from Louisiana and that's the kind of coffee they like down there!  And really, the 3M thingys are to show you that really they have almost everything like home....before we moved here, I ran out to grab a few of these because I have these calendars I want to hang out and need them. See, I could have bought them here!

We're off to a b-b-q tonight.  We'll chat soon.

2 comments:

Min said...

You guys looked awesome for the concert! So Fun!

Jessica O'Keefe said...

Is it a Kate Libby calendar? :-)