Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ahlam....

We have a dear sweet friend who works at the hospital. Her name is Ahlam which means 'dream'.  She is such a fun young woman from Oman and does a great job as a translator. She invited us over to her home a few weeks ago. I loved being there with her and her family.  Her mom is a riot and is a lot of fun.

When you visit people, sometimes they give you this stuff called Bahoor.  It's like incense that smokes when you put it on hot coals.  It then smokes and you are supposed to wave the smell into your clothing.  Women who wear Abayas (the long black dress thing they wear here) will often times put it up their sleeve or under their dress.  Above, Ahlam's mom is making me lift up my shirt to get it under my clothing. 

Here we are being goofy making Trey lift up his shirt and letting the smoke go under so that he smell ALL GOOD.



Really, I think the scent grows on you a bit. In the beginning it took me a while to like it but now I enjoy it......except when we going visiting to many homes for Eid (the holiday we just had) and you have to smell it at EVERY home....then sometimes it gets to be a bit much.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I'm impressed that Trey is there with you -- and Ahlam and Ahlam's mom? That's impressive!! Must be nice to be able to go to people's houses together. :)