Sunday, February 6, 2011

I'm a Chiquita Banana.....

When we came back from all of our travels this winter, our friends came over one night for dinner. They brought us this nice big fruit basket.  A) I don't think I've ever received a fruit basket before (maybe that will come when we have a baby or something...I don't know what kind of event you need to have in life to get a fruit basket back home.....does having a baby do that for you?) and especially not one THIS big.  It was so fun. Everyday I would bring in lots of new fruit to the office and each day everyone would check in to see what we had that day.  There were some cool exotic fruits in that basket. This thing was mega-huge and heavy.  It was sooo sweet of them.

And B) We don't really give gifts to friends or family when they return home from somewhere...usually it's the other way around. Usually we're looking to see what kind of souvenir they got us!  It was such a surprise to receive a warm welcome home.  Arab hospitality knows how to do it.  They win again.  1 point for them, 0 for us.

Last but not least, my friend Tricia sent me this fabulous brownie recipe. She made them before and they were D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.  Last week at church it was my turn to bring a treat for the coffee time after wards. I made some home made brownies, but they tasted NOTHING like these. Mine were dry and crumbly and didn't taste half as good as the normal box kind (I'm an advocate of making most thing home made....but boxed brownies are pretty darn good).  Anyway, Tricia sent me the recipe and I thought it would be nice to pass along.  Maybe if you get it today, you can make them for your SUPERBOWL party!  We talked about trying to get up at 4am to watch a bit, but I think my sleep will win out on this one.  It usually does when the alarm goes off to do odd things like this in the middle of the night.   Anyway, here you go. Enjoy.

Kate's Famous Brownies (courtesy of Katharine Hepburn)

1. Preheat oven to 325
2. In a heavy saucepan over very low heat. melt 2 squares unsweetened chocolate and 8 tbsp. butter.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in 1cup sugar.
4. Beat in 2 eggs and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
5. Quickly stir in 1cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
6. Spread batter in a well-greased 8" x 8" baking pan.
7. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
8. Remove pan to a rack to cool.

 




No comments: